10.15.2009

Blog Action Day, Save a Polar Bear.

It is mere seconds after I posted the following tweet: @michelleshea wishes she had the energy to do a blog action day post, but instead you can check out those who did:
http://www.blogactionday.org/en/blogs

I felt a tug of guilt immediately after pressing 'send'. I mean, I work for Greenpeace, the least I could do is send a Climate Change blurb into cyberspace before crashing into dreamland.

For those of you unaware, today is Blog Action Day. Apparently, every year a topic is chosen for bloggers to write about, raising awareness and creating cyber discussions worldwide for a specific subject. I would probably be totally unaware of this event if it wasn't for the fact that this year's topic is Climate Change.

For six hours every weekday, I stand on the [very cold] streets of Chicago and convince strangers to talk to me about this very topic. So, in honor of Blog Action Day, here is my spiel:

You've heard of Global Warming right? You know, that tiny little problem that's been nagging at us for the past several years [for those who can't read sarcasm, there's a big chunk of it on 'tiny'].

Well did you know that the US is actually a HUGE part of that problem? 25% of the world's greenhouse gas emissions [those pesky little pollutants that cause dangerous climate change] come from the United States and we here in the States only make up 5% of the world's population. If you're not good at math, you should be told that this means we're doing WAY more than our share of polluting our amazing planet.

So what can you do to help?

1. Sign up to be a member of Greenpeace. [ok, I'm half kidding...I'd actually prefer you track me down on the street to do this. ;)]

2. Cut back on your individual greenhouse gas emissions. Walk, bike, carpool, or take public transportation. [nothing new right? It's because simplicity works.]

3. Eat your Peanut Butter and Jelly. Or at least eat less animal products [I said LESS, Carnivores! So please stop threatening me with your steak knife] in order to reduce your meal's carbon footprint.

And

4. If you're in the area of an event on October 24th, you might consider participating in Climate Action Day. Same concept as Blog Action Day, only replace the avatars with real, live people

No comments: