6.18.2009

influenced by Influence.

Throughout my life there have been three references people often make upon hearing my name:

The first, and most common, is the oh-so-evident Beatles song, the inspiration for this blog's moniker. Now I adore the Beatles as much as the next vintage loving twenty-something, and I feel very special to possess one of the many names that brings about a reference to one of their songs [something only the lucys, sades, and prudences of the world can understand], but I've also heard far too many off-key renditions of "MEEESHELL MY BELLE..." rattled off at the sound of my name.

The second connection made is usually much later, once the person has been let in on a little of my past and become privy to the information that I was in the band for six weeks in sixth grade. I had to quit because, despite my best efforts, I was unable to produce any sound whatsoever from my...flute. [You see where this is going?]

The third reference is the most interesting kind to witness [or perhaps a close second to the serenade]. It's often made during a discussion of favorite TV shows of the past. Without fail, someone will bring up Full House and again, without fail, someone will feel the need to point out that Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen played a character named Michelle...just like my name! Why these people feel that this fact might have escaped my attention over the past 22 years, I have no idea, but often this realization excites them more than it probably should. But as annoying as this reference may be, as MK and Ashley have grown older and their sense of style began to draw attention, I became a closet fan. Both in fashion and in fascination, I sort of admire them. I guess you'd say they're a bit of a guilty pleasure, though I often show little guilt in my indulgence.

So of course, when I heard word of their book Influence, I immediately had a craving.



Unlike the teeny-bopper fare that the Twins have been so famous for over the years, Influence is for the grown up fashionista. With interviews with style Mavricks like Diane von Furstenberg and Christian Louboutin, it's like a grande-sized fashion mag, complete with eye-catching imagery [who doesn't love a close up on a Louboutin heel?].

Having only owned the book a few days, I'm currently still pouring thru the pages. However, there is one interview that has caught my interest from the first thumb thru. It's with former Interview editor and Warhol friend, Bob Colacello. In his conversation with Mary-Kate, Bob talks about how anyone can create their own Factory environment simply by being open to meeting new people and embracing the creativity in the ones around you. As a wannabe Factory Girl myself, this idea intrigued me. The more I thought about it, the more I realized that I've already surrounded myself with a Factory of creative spirits, each with their own appeal and specialty.

So here's what I'm thinking: Why not feature my very own Influence interviews right here in this blog?

Stay tuned for more 'influenced by Influence' blogs featuring the cast of my own personal Factory.

No comments: